Allergy is a condition in which the immune system of our body reacts abnormally to foreign substances. Known as allergens, these foreign substances include different types of foods, dust mites, drugs, pollens, or even pet dander. Medical experts generally treat allergies using a variety of approaches that include allergy shots and other medications. However, there are natural remedies for allergies that not only provide allergy relief but also keep you away from them. Hence, we have compiled everything that you need to know about allergies and how to treat them in a natural way.
What Causes Allergies?
Allergies are caused when allergens release immune system chemicals like histamine that cause allergy symptoms. To understand this better, it is important to know that the immune system of our body fights and attacks harmful pathogens to keep us healthy. Not only pathogens, but the immune system attacks anything that it thinks is dangerous for the body. However, sometimes your body starts attacking things like pet dander even if they are harmless. Some of the most common types of allergens that your body may be allergic to are.
- Animal products like pet dander, dust mite waste, and cockroaches
- Pharmaceutical drugs like Penicillin and sulfa drugs like sulfonamide antibiotics
- Foods like wheat, shellfish, nuts, milk, and eggs
- Stings of insects like bees, wasps, and mosquitoes
- Airborne spores from mold
- Pollens from plants like grass, weeds, and trees
- Plant resin from poison ivy and poison oak
Symptoms Of Allergies
The symptoms of allergies occur when the immune system of your body reacts in an unusual way to allergens that are generally harmless to other people around you. Different types of allergies mostly have different symptoms. Some of these symptoms develop rapidly as soon as your body is exposed to an allergen, while others develop slowly over greater time. Generally mild in nature, some allergic reactions can prove to be mind-wrecking and interfere with your day to day activities. In fact, sometimes a major reaction known as anaphylaxis occurs too. Some of the most common allergic symptoms include.
- Itchy, runny or blocked nose and sneezing
- Chest tightness and wheezing
- Itchy, red, watering eyes
- Cough and shortness of breath
- Swollen mouth, tongue, and lips
- Raised, itchy, red rash
- Feeling sick, diarrhea, vomiting or tummy pain
- Dry, cracked and red skin
The best natural remedy for all kinds of allergies is undoubtedly to avoid allergens whenever possible. Both doctors and natural healers recommend this. For instance, if you are allergic to milk, be careful not to consume too much milk even if you like it. However, some allergens are difficult to avoid. For these allergens, you can adopt some of these easy to use effective natural remedies to deal with the effects caused. Every allergy can be controlled by natural remedies that may help speed up recovery. Some of these natural remedies are.
- Saline nasal irrigation or the passing of water or saline solution through your nasal passage for both children and adults with allergic rhinitis or hay fever.
- CBG is a cannabinoid compound that is found highly effective to curb allergies by reducing inflammation, slowing down fungal growth and reducing abnormal cell growth.
- Acupuncture is a proven remedy for both seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis.
- Locally produced honey lowers your pollen allergic reaction over time.
- Quercetin, a naturally occurring substance found in broccoli, green tea, cauliflower, and citrus fruits is effective to stabilize the release of histamines and helps to control allergy symptoms.
How To Combat Allergy?
Now, that you know everything you need to know about allergies in general, and the natural remedies to treat them, it’s time to focus on an allergy that you or someone you know may be suffering. Most allergies other than anaphylaxis are easy to combat and you need to be aware of your surroundings and habits to overcome them. However, if you are at risk of anaphylaxis, you must consult your doctor immediately and learn how to manage your allergy and what to do in an emergency situation. Remember, whatever your allergy is, it can be managed easily with avoidance, lifestyle changes, and natural treatment. Hence, do not be worried and do everything you want, like and need while keeping a check on the allergens near you.